Welcome Visitor
Sun, Feb 5, 2023
184 members
Blaze wrecks mobile home in Buckhorn on Wednesday morning
Blaze wrecks mobile home in Buckhorn on Wednesday morning

A Wednesday morning blaze destroyed this mobile home south of Buckhorn on Highway 17.
BUCKHORN, Mo. (May 27, 2009) — UPDATED 9:05 a.m.: Both lanes of traffic are now open on Highway 17 south of Buckhorn, but fire crews and the state fire investigators remain on the scene.

A Wednesday morning fire destroyed a mobile home near the Buckhorn Shell gas station on Highway 17.

Waynesville firefighters were dispatched about 6:40 a.m. to a report of heavy smoke showing from a mobile home.

“Somebody stopped up at Buckhorn Shell and reported smoke showing; they said something was on fire south of the interstate,” said Waynesville Rural Fire Chief Doug Yurecko. “We heard the smoke investigation call at the firehouse, and about that time we got that call to a residential structure fire.”

When Waynesville firefighters arrived they found an off-duty Fort Leonard Wood firefighter already there.

“A Fort Leonard Wood firefighter stopped by on his way to work and attempted to make entry to the house but he could not. He was trying to fight the fire as best he could with a garden house,” Yurecko said.

Waynesville firefighters sent two engines, a tanker, and a command vehicle, joined by St. Robert firefighters with an engine and a tanker, with a total of 23 firefighters responding.

“It was a mobile home; they are always hard to put out. We made our entry from the front and worked out way to the back where the fire was located,” Yurecko said.

The home was a total loss.

Traffic continues to flow on Highway 17 although the southbound lane has been blocked off by state troopers and Waynesville police. Pulaski County Ambulance District paramedics were on standby but not actively involved in patient care; Sheriff J.B. King was also assisting at the scene and took over from Waynesville police.

The blaze was mostly out by 7:15 a.m. with firefighters continuing to mop up the burned-out mobile home; the blaze was declared under control at 7:33 a.m.

Yurecko said the cause of the fire remains under investigation; the state fire marshal arrived at 7:49 a.m. and firefighters are expected to be at the fire scene for an extended period. Laclede Electric Cooperative personnel and rural water district personnel sealed the power so it cannot be turned back on and shut off the water to the home.

Related articles

Coroner releases name of victim of Wednesday blaze in Buckhorn
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2009 4:14 pm

THIS ARTICLE: Blaze wrecks mobile home in Buckhorn on Wednesday morning
Posted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 8:02 am

Click here to comment for local opinion

Printer-friendly format

Do you know someone else who would like to see this?
Your Email:
Their Email:
(Will be included with e-mail)
Secret Code

In the box below, enter the Secret Code exactly as it appears above *


Powered by Bondware
News Publishing Software

The browser you are using is outdated!

You may not be getting all you can out of your browsing experience
and may be open to security risks!

Consider upgrading to the latest version of your browser or choose on below: