|FLW newspaper takes top honors in Department of Defense competition
|Posted: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 6:20 am
|FORT LEONARD WOOD, Mo. (April 14, 2009) — Public affairs personnel announced Tuesday morning that Fort Leonard Wood's newspaper, the Guidon, has been named the best in the Department of Defense, winning the Thomas Jefferson Award.
The paper previously won the Army award for best newspaper, the Keith L. Ware Award.
The following have been announced as winners of the Thomas Jefferson Awards, Print Division:
1. Metro Format Newspaper: Guidon, Fort Leonard Wood Public Affairs Office, Fort Leonard Wood.
2. Tabloid Format Newspaper: The Monitor, Fort Bliss Public Affairs Office, Fort Bliss, Texas.
3. Magazine Format Publication (Other than Flagship): Tip of the Spear, U.S. Special Operations Command Public Affairs, MacDill AFB, Fla.
4. Newsletter Format Publication: Key Portal News, Naval Undersea Warfare Center Division, Keyport, Wash.
5. News Article: "Fearing Restrictions, Marines Load Up on Firearms," Lance Cpl. Graham Benson, Yuma Public Affairs Office, Yuma, Ariz.
6. Feature Article: "Commentary: A Dying Art Thrives at DSCP," Beth Reece, Defense Logistics Agency, Fort Belvoir, Va.
7. Commentary: "Death of the Marksman," Staff Sgt. Ethan E. Rocke, Marine Corps Base, Okinawa, Japan.
8. Sports Article: "Wheel of Fortune," Tech. Sgt. Paul Flipse, 920th Rescue Wing Public Affairs, Patrick AFB, Fla.
9. Series: "The Untouchables," Staff Sgt. Ethan E. Rocke, Marine Corps Base, Okinawa, Japan.
10. Stand-Alone Photograph: "Maj. Smith with Liberian Children," Sgt. Rocco DeFilippis, Marine Corps Forces Europe/Africa, APO AE.
11. Photojournalism: "They Man an Anywhere Ambulance," Tech. Sgt. Matthew J. Hannen, "Torch Magazine," Randolph AFB, Texas.
12. Art/Graphics in Support of a Publication: "Inspector General's Corner: Proper Saluting," Master Sgt. Stephen Opet, 354th Mobile Public Affairs Detachment, Corapolis, Pa.
13. Contribution by Stringer (Writer): "Pearl Harbor Survivor returns to Sea," Blair Martin, Commander, Navy Region Hawaii Public Affairs Office, Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.
14. Contribution by Stringer (Photographer): "An Uncommon Self Portrait," Commander Erik Etz, Strike Fighter Squadron 113 (VFA 113), USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76), FPO AP.
15. Outstanding Flagship Publication: Marines Magazine, Defense Media Activity Crystal City Marines, Arlington, Va.
16. Outstanding Flagship Writer: Staff Sgt. Mathew Bates, Airman Magazine, San Antonio, Texas.
17. Outstanding Flagship Web Site: www.Navy.Mil, Defense Media Activity Anacostia, Washington, D.C.
18. Web-based Publication: www.Pendleton.USMC.mil, Camp Pendleton Public Affairs Office, Camp Pendleton, Calif.
19. Outstanding New Writer: Tech. Sgt. Cheresa D. Theiral, Joint Force Headquarters-Colorado Public Affairs Office, Centennial, Colo.
20. Department of Defense Print Journalist of the Year: Melanie Casey, Fort Meade Public Affairs Office, Fort Meade, Md.
The following have been announced as winners of the 2008 Thomas Jefferson Awards, Broadcast Division:
1. Radio Entertainment Program: "Eagle Morning Show with Trevor Pedro," Staff Sgt. Trevor Pedro, USAF, AFN Naples, Italy
2. Radio Spot Production: "Combat Go-2-Guy," Sgt. Kenia Kraus, USA, AFN Bavaria, Germany.
3. Radio News Report: "Marines Aid Afghans," Sgt. Jeremy Ross, USMC, Pentagon Channel.
4. Radio Feature Report: "Warfighter Workout," MC2 Honey Nixon, USN, AFN Yokosuka, Japan.
5. Radio Sports Report: "Long Drive Contest," Staff Sgt. Craig Rader, USA, AFN Korea.
6. Radio Newscast: "Benelux Radio Update," Mr. Sean Patrick, AFN Benelux, Belgium.
7. Radio Information Program: "The C-O Show," AFN Rota Spain.
8. Television Information Program: "Sexual Assault Special," AFN Bavaria, Germany.
9. Television Spot Production: "Strength through Diversity," MC3 John O'Neil Herrera, USN, AFN Naples, Italy.
10. Television News Report: 'Defender Patrol Boats," MC2 Andrew Krauss, USN, AFN Iraq.
11. Television Feature Report: "Prosthetic," MC3 (SW) Patrick L. Dille, USN, AFN Rota, Spain.
12. Television Sports Report: "Winter Sports Clinic," Senior Airman Robbie W. Arp, USAF, DMA San Antonio, Texas.
13. Local Television Newscast: "Bavaria Update: Seeing Again and Wii," AFN Bavaria, Germany.
14. Regional Television Newscast, "AFN Europe Report," HQ, AFN Europe, Germany.
15. Television Newsbreak: "IA Checklist," MC2 (AW) Andrew S. Geraci, USN, DMA Anacostia.
16. Command Information Campaign: "Suicide Prevention Campaign," III Corps and Fort Hood Public Affairs, Fort Hood, Texas.
17. Outstanding New Broadcaster: Staff Sgt. Craig Rader, USA, AFN Korea.
18. DoD Broadcast Journalist of the Year: Ms. Michelle Michael, HQ, AFN Europe, Germany.
19. Outstanding Flagship Television Program: "All Hands Television," DMA Anacostia.
Click here to comment for local opinion