Knocked-over fire hydrant forces boil advisory at Fort Leonard Wood
By: Darrell Todd Maurina
Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2010 6:07 pm
FORT LEONARD WOOD, Mo. (April 29, 2010) — For the first time in as long as post officials can remember, Fort Leonard Wood officials have issued a boil advisory in the housing area.
“Someone ran over a fire hydrant with a U-Haul,” said post spokesman Jeff Maddy, causing a water main break Wednesday night on Forrest Street in the Stonegate housing area. That caused immediate issuance of a boil advisory in effect for all of Thursday that is expected to be lifted sometime Friday.
“(This break is) one of the first times in the housing area, although we have had breaks in lines elsewhere on Fort Leonard Wood,” Maddy said.
According to Maddy, anyone in this housing area who has no water or low water pressure should boil their water before use until further notice; water must be allowed to cool sufficiently if it is to be used for drinking. Water used for bathing does not need to be boiled.
Additional precautions that should be observed include:
• Boil water vigorously for three minutes prior to use for cooking or drinking.
• Disinfect food contact surfaces (dishes) by immersing them for at least one minute in clean tap water that contains one teaspoon of unscented household bleach per gallon of water.
• Dispose of ice cubes and remake with water that has been boiled.
• Continue boiling all water that is to be used for cooking or drinking until the cause of the contamination has been found and corrected.