Welcome Visitor
Tue, Nov 28, 2023
168 members
Crocker officers shut down Highway 17 while stopping man at gunpoint
CROCKER, Mo. (Jan. 19, 2010) — An emergency situation with a man stopped by police at gunpoint shut down the main road through Crocker for more than half an hour late Saturday night and early Sunday morning until police used a Taser to stun the suspect and clear the roadway.

Crocker Police Chief Stephen North said the man isn’t being identified pending filing of charges; circuit court offices were closed Monday for the Martin Luther King holiday.

“It’s been a rather hectic weekend and the holiday threw in a few things as well,” North said.

According to police logs, Pulaski County 911 personnel reported at 11:23 p.m. that Crocker police were requesting assistance with a traffic stop in which the officer had a suspect in his car at gunpoint near Newcomb Hardware and Crocker City Hall on Highway 17. One Pulaski County deputy responded within minutes with two more deputies responding at 11:36 p.m. to assist multiple Crocker police officers including North; Crocker Rural Fire District personnel were paged out at 11:37 p.m. to block the roadway.

Additional agencies offered their assistance as well. Waynesville police reported at 11:48 p.m. that their police dog would be available; Pulaski County Ambulance District personnel also responded.

Deputies repeatedly requested permission to use a Taser to subdue the man but could not get a clear line of fire until 11:56 p.m. when the man was taken into custody and medics were called to assist.

Crocker firefighters were advised to open the roadway at 12:09 a.m.

Problems continued with the man involving a 6:47 a.m. Sunday jail incident; Waynesville and Crocker police came to the jail to assist, the man was changed out of his clothes into a jail uniform.

No motive for the incident was immediately available.

While North declined comment on details of the incident beyond what’s available in public records, he said no emergency response personnel or civilians were injured and the suspect is not believed to have serious injuries. Highway 17 was shut down as a public safety measure, he said.

“I’m going to decline further formal comments on this point until we can issue a formal press release,” North said. “But first of all, I’d like to commend the officers involved and all the agencies and thank them openly for their assistance and dedication and hard work. We will do whatever it takes to keep this incident from ever happening again.”

Click here to follow the Pulaski County Daily News on Twitter
Click here to follow the Pulaski County Daily News on Facebook

Click here to comment for local opinion

Printer-friendly format

Do you know someone else who would like to see this?
Your Email:
Their Email:
(Will be included with e-mail)
Secret Code

In the box below, enter the Secret Code exactly as it appears above *


Powered by Bondware
News Publishing Software

The browser you are using is outdated!

You may not be getting all you can out of your browsing experience
and may be open to security risks!

Consider upgrading to the latest version of your browser or choose on below: