Welcome Visitor
Mon, May 21, 2018
102 members currently online.

Missouri man claims to speak Arabic, threatens Oasis Truck Stop shooting

HAZELGREEN, Mo. (March 4, 2013) — A man who claimed to speak Arabic and threatened to shoot a truck stop clerk early Sunday morning now faces a Class D felony charge of making a terrorist threat, according to Pulaski County Circuit Court records.

Daniel Mark Lawson, 55, of Glencoe, is being held on a $100,000 bond with surety by a bail bondsman allowed. That’s more than the $30,000 bond which had been requested by Head Assistant Prosecutor Laura Kriebs and was verbally authorized by Associate Circuit Judge Colin Long, along with the standard condition of no contact with the victims. Lawson could spend up to four years in state prison with a $5,000 fine if convicted.

Sheriff’s deputies had requested an additional charge of third-degree assault which was not filed by Kriebs.

According to court records, three deputies were dispatched at 3:38 a.m. Sunday to the Oasis Truck Stop, which is located at Exit 145 of Interstate 44 at the junction of Highway 133, “for a suspicious activity call involving an individual threatening to shoot the store clerk” which had begun about 3:15 a.m.

The sheriff’s log says truck stop personnel told deputies Lawson was sleeping in his vehicle prior to deputies arriving at 3:49 p.m., but court records show that two deputies arrived, took tactical positions around a gray Chevolet truck, and found Lawson in his vehicle with “a rifle straddled at his side” while he was “periodically moving and looking around.”

According to court records, truck stop personnel said Lawson “was acting strange the entire time he was inside the establishment.” He had approached a female clerk and “asked if he could trade ammunition for fuel,” and when the clerk said she could not do so, Lawson became “belligerent.”

“Lawson asked (the clerk) if she could speak Arabic,” according to the deputies’ report in court records. “Lawson then mumbles something to (the clerk). Lawson asked (the clerk) if she knew what Daniel (Lawson) said. (The clerk) stated no and Daniel stated ‘I will shoot you.’”

The female clerk and a male co-worker told deputies they were in fear for their safety and “as soon as Lawson stepped outside she locked the doors closing the business” and then called police.

The male clerk told a similar story, stating “that he was approached by Lawson who offered to sell him ammunition,” and when he declined, “Lawson became belligerent and mumbled, ‘I’m going to have to shoot someone.’”

Sheriff’s logs report that Lawson was barricaded at 3:59 a.m., and deputies requested backup from Waynesville police and two reserve deputies. Despite having a rifle on his lap, Lawson was taken into custody at 4:05 a.m. and arrested without incident at 4:21 a.m.

“After a brief standoff with Lawson who would not immediately respond to officers’ commands, Lawson submitted to commands and was taken into custody,” according to court records.

Deputies found a Ruger .22 caliber rifle in the driver’s seat of the truck and also found a loaded Taurus .357 revolver laying on the center console where deputies had previously observed Lawson’s right hand.

In addition to arresting Lawson, deputies called the Pulaski County Humane Society for assistance with puppies found on the scene.

Court records and the sheriff’s log don’t indicate any motive, but the sheriff’s log reports that Lawson has a preliminary breath test indicating no alcohol in his system.

Click here to follow the Pulaski County Daily News on Twitter
Click here to follow the Pulaski County Daily News on Facebook

Printer-friendly format

Do you know someone else who would like to see this?
Your Email:
Their Email:
(Will be included with e-mail)
Secret Code

In the box below, enter the Secret Code exactly as it appears above *


recent articles